My Open Source Web Dev List
Here is the list of stuff I load onto my machine right after firing it up for the first time:
- 7-zip – open source package for handling zip, tar, gzip
- WinSCP – ftp, scp, sftp
- Putty – in case I need to talk to a server, this is my preferred SSH client
- TextPad – all the text editor I need for just about any task. Don’t forget to tell it to syntax highlight PHP and turn on line numbers! (not open source, but cheap and good)
- Mysql Workbench – a nice little tool for MySql admin and query browsing
- Firefox, Safari, Chrome browsers – gotta test in all the browsers!
- Firefox web developer toolbar
- Hex Color Finder – use the dropper to get the hex color of anything on your screen
- Tortoise SVN – my fav svn tool
- OpenOffice – for all the stuff you used to use Windows Office for…
- Gimpshop – taking the place of Photoshop (hint: do not install anywhere other than program files – BE SURE!)
- Irfanview – batch editing photos, contact sheets, etc.
- Handbrake – video editing
- Audacity – Audio editing
- Tweetdeck – twitter client
- Skype – internet phone and chat
That’s it. With all that loaded, I’m ready for 95% of my computing needs. What would you add to the list?